Sunday 28 October 2012

My name is Dr. Matthew Tung MBBS FRCS (Surgical Neurology)

I am a brain surgeon. What I do is brain surgery, so for instance when a brain tumour or a blood clot is discovered, I operate on the brain to remove clots or excise tumours. No patient ever comes to me saying I have a brain tumour, so I work closely with general practitioners, neurologists, and other physicians.  


I also manage chronic pain.  Treating chronic pain patients who often do not have any other treatments to turn to is often a challenge.  The tools I use to treat them include nerve stimulators.  We place these electrodes in various parts of the body, usually along bones of the nervous system, peripheral nerves, spinal cord or even the brain in some cases, so that we can block pain signals and provide pain relief when other treatments have failed.  The peripheral nerves are the connections between the spinal cord and these extremities, the muscles, the skin, bringing motor information out to the limbs to guide and control movement but also bringing sensory information back to nervous so that patient can be aware of pain touch pressure or nature of movement etc.  The peripheral nervous system has enormous powers of healing, for regeneration and for repair.  I cannot heal a spinal cord injury, a stroke in someone’s brain but I can heal a peripheral nerve injury, and patients can make a phenomenal recovery whereas in other parts of the nervous system that is not really possible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment